Top 5 Things Your Pet Shouldn’t Eat

image01

Every pet owner knows their pets’ irresistible looks, when they stalk us into the kitchen and just sit there patiently, staring at us, while we make a sandwich or open a bar of chocolate. However, there are some foods that we should never allow them to eat, because they can actually severely harm or even kill them:

1.Chocolate

image04

While most of us can’t live without chocolate, for our canine companions even a small amount can be lethal. The toxic substances in it (Methylxanthines) are found in Cacao seeds. Therefore the darker the chocolate, the higher the threat for your pets to get seriously poisoned.

2.Raisins

image03

 

Although it is not exactly known, what substance in grapes and raisins is toxic, only small amounts can cause kidney failure in dogs and cats.

 

3.Gum

image02

Most sugar free chewing gums contain the sweetener Xylitol, which  can cause your pets to release extra insulin leading to liver failure. Despite chewing gum, Xylitol can also be found in other diet-products such as sugar-free peanut butter as well as toothpaste. Therefore better keep the sugar-free products out of your pets’ reach!

 

4.Salty Snacks

image05

Great amounts of salt can lead to excessive thirst and urination, or even sodium ion poisoning in pets. Therefore avoid feeding salt-heavy snacks like potato chips, biscuits, and salted popcorn to your canine friends.

5.Milk and Dairy

image00

Quite contrary to the common believe that milk is a natural and healthy product to give to dogs and cats, the lactose can actually be very harmful to them because they lack the enzymes to process it the way we do. For puppies and kittens there is special lactose-free milk available in pharmacies and veterinarians.

 

If you suspect that your pet has consumed any of the mentioned above,  look out for the following symptoms:

 

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abnormal drinking or urination
  • Lethargy
  • Inappetence
  • Halitosis
  • Dehydration

 

Seek immediate medical care for your pet if you think they might suffer from poisoning and always be extra careful with what to and not feed your pet.

 

Sources:

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ss/slideshow-foods-your-dog-should-never-eat

http://www.caninejournal.com/foods-not-to-feed-dog/

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1&aid=1029

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *